Schultz Book Log

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Stephen King's "On Writing": Sections 14 to 16

The final chapters of King's incredibly informative book are suitably chronological. He discusses the validity of writing classes, the process of finding publication, and most importantly, the inherent joy in writing.

The chapter on writing classes was a little boring, but I found I related to his frustration with them. I once took an intensive writing course at a camp I went to, and I became increasingly irritated by the demands of the instructor that we read our pieces aloud immediately after we finished them - no revising, first drafts only. It makes one incredibly uncomfortable, as the work you're reading aloud simply isn't finished.

The passage on publication was more interesting to me, if only because it provides an insight into the secretive world of publishing. The advice all seems sound, but King's suggestions of buying Writer's Market books and scanning them meticulously seemed a little bit like overkill. I did, however, appreciate the form letter written by "Frank" to prospective agents. It was genuine and unassuming, and if I were a literary agent I don't think I could resist making an offer.

The final chapter of the book (excluding the epilogue) was probably, for me, the best one yet. King sums up in so few words why his readers should want to write. The idea of a buzz, a feeling of joy found for free in creative expression is inspiring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home